Marjorie is a full time music teacher and musician.
With her husband Steve Marjorie runs the Valley Strings School of music. Between them they have over eighty students. A classically trained violinist as well as a scholar of folk fiddle traditions Marjorie is the Director of the Tasmanian Heritage Fiddle Ensemble. She is Co-publisher of The Tasmanian Heritage Apple Shed Dance Tunes and Author of ‘Eureka’, a widely used tutor for beginning violin. She performs with bands:- Buttongrass Serenade, Czardas, Saltarello, and original female group Silkweed. She has also played in everything from string quartets through to bluegrass bands.
A graduate of the Tasmanian Conservatorium of Music, Marjorie was for many years the AMEB examiner for violin. She is the director of Valley Strings Music School (Huon Valley) and also runs a private music studio in Hobart and at teaches cello and violin at Tarremah Steiner School.
Marjorie has instigated and been involved in numerous community music projects, including co-directing The Tasmanian Heritage Fiddle Ensemble, playing and teaching traditional Tasmanian dance tunes.
Marjorie plays violin with saeveral bands including Czardas, Slap Dash, Shake Sugaree, Silkweed and Saltarello.
The Heritage Fiddle Ensemble was specifically formed to showcase music recently collected by Marjorie and her partner Steve Gadd with the aim of reinvigorating the music scene with traditional and contemporary Tasmanian music.
The ensemble consists of a few adult players with a group of young people aged from 10 to 18 yrs and was selected to represent Tasmania at the 2005 National Folk Festival and to open the 2005 programme for 10 Days On The Island.
Marjorie has played in a multitude of ensembles including,
- The Apple Cores
- Slapdash and Buttongrass Serenade (current)playing arrangements of traditional Tasmanian tunes
- Saltarello (current) a renaissance/early music ensemble
- Czardas (current) playing Eastern European inspired music
- Silkweed (current) playing mostly original songs and tunes, often with a particular theme.
- Marjorie also makes guest appearances with Shake Shugaree.
Marjorie is currently working on the second edition of Eureka; her highly successful teaching manual for violin
Marjorie has performed at numerous festivals and music venues, including;
- the National Folk Festival with Slapdash and The Tasmanian Heritage Fiddle Ensemble
- Maldon Folk Festival (Vic) and Majors Creek (NSW) with Czardas
- Cygnet Folk Festival with Czardas, Silkweed, Slapdash and The Tasmanian Heritage Fiddle Ensemble
- Tamar Valley Folk Festival with Czardas, Silkweed, Slapdash and The Heritage Fiddle Ensemble
- The Boite World Music Cafe (Vic) with Silkweed numerous music and performance venues including The Trades Hall (Vic), The Polish Club,
university campuses, the Cool Creek Cafe (NSW)The Palais and pubs, clubs and schools.
Professional Recordings include
- "In a Vision" with Czardas
- "Real Island Roots" with Steve Gadd
- "Voices of the Valley" with various artists
- "No Blood for Oil" with various artists
Hear more music and see videos by Steve and Marjorie at: